What is Functional Medicine
Functional Medicine is an approach to healthcare that focuses on examining core imbalances that underlie a disease and illness. Rather than just treating symptoms, it uses a systems-oriented approach that engages both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. This approach recognizes that each person’s path to disease or health is unique. We try to understand individual factors in order to modify them and shifty the momentum from disease to health.
What Types of Problems are Being Treated
Functional Medicine can treat a wide range of problems. This paradigm is distinctly primed to unravel the most frustrating issues, including:
- Gut Dysbiosis (IBS, Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis, SIBO, Food Intolerances, Microbial imbalances, Digestive or absorptive imbalances, GERD)
- Thyroid Dysfunction
- Hormonal, Neurotransmitter imbalances
- Autoimmune disorders
- Weight Regulation (underweight, overweight)
- Cognitive issues
- Chronic Fatigue, Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Chronic Pain
- Metabolic Dysfunction (Diabetes, Hypertension, CAD)
- Disorders with inflammation at their root.
What Types of Treatments are Being Used
Functional Medicine integrates traditional Western medical practices with what is sometimes considered “alternative” or “integrative” medicine. To accomplish these goals, the Functional Medicine approach integrates nutrition, botanical medicines, supplements, detoxification programs, stress-management techniques and exercise, among others. Prescription medications are also considered when indicated.
Chronic diseases do not develop overnight. They often emerge over a period of years and require time to treat. Some patients may see significant progress in weeks to months; more complex cases may take over a year to return to a state of optimal health and performance.
We will determine a specific, individualized treatment plan for you; these may include:
- repairing healthy gut flora and digestive function;
- supporting detoxification processes;
- repairing immune function and treating inflammation
- replenishing nutrient deficiencies
- rebalancing and supporting hormones.
When appropriate, we can also work together with your primary care doctor, internist, gynecologist, oncologist, or another specialist to design an individualized health program.
Dealing with chronic illness and suboptimal health can affect all aspects of your life. They can be overwhelming. Functional medicine will help you find a path to wellness.